A rubbish fire

7 11 2007

Saturday I almost set Tamale alight. I came close to being the first VSO volunteer to have burnt his lodgings to the ground. I could have reached that exulted position of being mentioned in the pre-departure safety briefing (when VSO list some of the stupid things volunteers have done to get themselves injured, I’m not sure whether for warning or amusement).

One of the services which I took for granted in the UK but is missing here is garbage collection.  Any rubbish I generate I have to dispose of and, as I’ve mentioned in previous posts, fire is the approved method of disposal.  So Saturday morning I duly took my black plastic bag containing food and other waste out of my kitchen, where it had been nicely fermenting over the week in the heat, out to the garden and gathered fuel. In an attempt to preserve energy I have a pile of wood (mostly bark from an expiring palm tree I have lying prone in my garden) and I piled material from this over the afore mentioned black plastic bag.  In a short while the ephemeral orange dancers had consumed the offering I had made and returned to the ether from whence they came leaving only ash. Oh, and a few tin cans.

Having responsibly supervised this combustion I returned in doors to read a book very kindly given me by a VSO colleague here, Steve.  As I was enjoying the bliss which is a good book a pungent white smoke started to blow through the house.  Muttering to myself about neighbours who were less responsible than their fires than me, I decided to investigate. To my horror (and probably not your surprise) my nice pile of firewood was now a nice fire, and threatening to spread to the drying cut grass and vegetation that is my garden.  Springing into action I nobly sacrificed a whole half bucket of precious water in an attempt to stop the conflagration.  And this was despite there being no water flowing to my house. My sterling efforts as a fireman prevailed and the blaze was soon under control, leaving me musing as to what would have happened had I not decided to read, but gone out instead.

Advertisements

Actions

Information

3 responses

13 11 2007
Mark Harrison

I don’t suppose you happened to be anywhere near Stratford, London on Monday 12th November did you?

19 11 2008
Explosions « Tim in Tamale

[…] A year later and I’m still having problems burning rubbish […]

1 07 2009
Goodbye Ghana « Tim in Tamale

[…] to do. I’ve learnt to cope with not having flowing water, dodgy electricity and having to burn my garbage (nearly killing Fred in the […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: